Saturday, August 19, 2006

Saturday morning, 5 a.m. Aug. 19, 2006

A very early good morning, folks.

I awoke at 4 a.m., fed the cats, made coffee, and here I am. It is warm this morning; almost 70 degrees. The warmest morning yet. No, the air conditioner is not on-yet, the ceiling fans work fine for now. We were supposed to get some much needed rain last night, but did not. Maybe later today?

We (hubby, his dad, and dad's girlfriend, his brother visiting from MO.) and I are all going to a family reunion---hubby's side, today at noon.

First though, early this morning, hubby and I are going up to the apartment and fix a patch of siding on the house that is down to the old siding. Roofers took down part of the chimney when they put on the new roof, and an area about 2 1/2 x 3 feet is exposed to the weather. Hubby is going to put a piece of board and insulation on to cover it. I am going to hold the extension ladder. Uh-oh. Ladders and I don't get a long very well. Hope it all goes okay!!!

Then we will return, get ready, and go to the reunion. Lots of food to eat and lots of people to visit with. It should be fun.

Sometimes, in the evenings, I sit on the deck out back (if it is not to hot),and watch the birds feeding. While sitting there, the aroma of the butterfly bush next to the deck is so sweet. No wonder it attracts so many butterflies, hummingbirds, and hummingbird-moths. Not to mention all the different variety of bees!

I got down into the pond this past week and removed numerous plants that had grown outside the pots I have them in. Gosh, those things are so prolific! Sheesh! I gave some to the neighbor's daughter for her little pond. Her fish needed some shade as her pond is mainly in the sun all the time. At least she does have a fountain to keep the water flowing.

We have a huge bull frog in our pond. I mean-huge! We have no idea where he came from! I decided to call him-Rambo. He sits on the log in the pond and his body is wider than the log.

Hubby finished his classes yesterday! Yeah! He is so tired. Next week he will be getting his room ready, counting and cataloging the new Chemistry books to hand out, and attending meetings. He is looking forward to teaching Chemistry. Although, if he doesn't find the Chemistry books soon, he might have to "wing it" for a while.

We have had corn on the cob everynight for the last two months! It is so good! The Candy-corn (the third planting) is just at its peak now and I could eat six ears easily at a sitting, but limit my intake to two ears. I gave the neighbor-friend a dozen ears yesterday, along with a few tomatoes. What is happening with them is beyond me. They are rotting on the vines, even before they turn red-certainly not because of rain. We have not had any in almost a month! It could possibly be due to the fact that the tomatoe plants were invaded by "blister-beetles" one day when I went out to check the garden. Not there one day, and then hundreds of them the next! I really despise using insecticides, and vary rarely do, but this called for drastic action! In one day they consumed most of the green folage on the tomatoe plants. I did discover them earlier in the week on the potatoe plants, and sprayed them too. They do fly, so I assumed what I didn't get before, flew over to the tomatoe plants and started feasting! Drat, those "Little buggers!"

I have picked a few cucumbers, but there again, lack of rain. I have picked three cabbage heads, very large, (not sure why with no rain), and they are in the fridge for dining on at a later date. It keeps well in the fridge. Yum-Yum! Fried cabbage, green peppers, and onions! What a treat! As far as the peppers go, they are not. Some of them are also getting mushy spots on them.

Hey, want a real refreshing treat to eat? Try slicing onions, tomatoes, and green peppers together. Put them in a bowl and add Good Seasons, or Kraft Zesty Italian dressing to the mixture, and chill and serve! Very good! You can add more veggies each day. I think I have gained about 5 pounds this summer!

Update on the sequel. Production at Infinity Publishing has slowed down due to people taking vacations! I called the other day and the girl said it would probably be another two weeks before I get my book back to review and send back in for the final publishing! Major-bummer! I must have patience.

I had to attend a "Driving Course" seminar last Wednesday because I work for the county. It was awesome! Very informative and educational. Wear your seatbelt! Be alert so you don't get hurt! No tailgaiting or speeding!

Company will be coming on Sunday too for a visit and I am doing Catfish on the grill wrapped in foil, steamed to perfection, plus corn, of course!

Have a blessed day and a great weekend.
Best regards,
Becky :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home