Thursday, September 28, 2006

Domestic Violence rally and vigil-Oct. 4th, 2006

Hi folks,
Just wanted to let you know I will be the main speaker at a Domestic violence rally in New Philadelphia, Ohio on Wednesday, March 4th, 2006, on the square of N. Philly. It starts at 6 p.m. After all the speaking participants are finished, there will be a candlelight vigil for all the victims of domestic violence homicide in the Tuscarawas County area. Sure hope you can attend.

You know, "education" is the key word here. So many people are just not aware what is going on in other people's lives of a victim/survivor of domestic violence and abuse. They don't think it can be their really nice neighbor, co-worker, babysitter, relative, friend, on and on. No one is exempt. It can happen any time, any where, any city, any ethnic backgroung, rich or poor-anyone. So, the more you know about it, grasp it, and speak up about it, the better it may get. You just can't shove it away in a closet, or under a rug. You never know, someday it could be you, (hopefully not), but being aware and having the knowledge about it, could save a life!

Did you know that the ODVN (Ohio Domestic Violence Network) gave new statistics this year that, now, every FOUR seconds, someone is a victim of domestic violence and abuse. How staggering are those statistics!??? It used to be every nine seconds.

On a lighter note, my hubby came up to me the other day while I was standing there looking over what was left of our garden. He tapped me on the shoulder and when I turned around, he was holding up a clump of grapes! Yes, grapes. I asked him where he got them because I knew of none in the house or outside anywhere. He told me he found them over at the edge of my wildflower garden! Wow! At first we thought they were wild grapes, but then after eating several, discovered they tasted like reall concord grapes. Yum. I went over to check out this grape-thing and discovered at least 5 more clumps. Wow! That was exciting! (Sometimes it doesn't take much for me anymore at my age!)

Later that evening, the neighbor lady came over to bring us her trash for the next day's pickup. Hubby was telling her about it, (I was mowing the yard), and he later told me the neighbor lady said there used to be a "grape arbor" near the area we found them. Well, I'll be darn.

We used to mow that section of the field off for many years, and then in the last seven years, I have let a large section (about 150 feet by 50 feet), grow back to being wild. Son-of-a-gun. Who would have thought we had a grape arbor all this time? So, after years of being able to grow back to the natural state, the vines have produced fruit! Yes! I saved some seeds and scattered them along the side of the wildflower garden. Each fall season I dead-head many seeds and scatter them all over it. There is such a variety of flowers, (alas poison ivy,too-but some birds eat the fruit they produce), many berries everywhere, and we even planted some trees. Many things have just grown in it because birds scatter seeds too.

One season we had a nest of baby bunnies. There are so cute! Of course, Mandy the beagle found them, and all the other dogs had to investigate the "find" too. We got the dogs out away from there, and put a fence around it to protect them. Bad dogs.
I have found different bird nest too, on the ground and in some of the bushes that are getting larger each summer. It is so neat. I love to walk through it and discovering new things that have sprung up.

It has been raining all day. The neighbor and I went into the store this morning and that was fun trying to carry groceries with an umbrella in one hand, and numerous bags in the other. Good exercise. I made six trips to the car before I was done, at her place and mine. Whew.

Oh, I did hear about Tom. He had to have surgery again! He will be in the hospital for a while as there is infection in his leg. But, according to the email I received, they removed all the metal and found more infection than they thought was there. So, people, please keep him in your prayers.

That's all folks, for now. Have a good rest of the week.
Get educated about Domestic Violence and abuse. Don't be to harsh in judging those victims, and be safe. Check out the books to read on my website and also the website connections. The more you know, the less there might be of violence and abuse. Love should never be feared.

My best to you,
Becky :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home