Thursday, April 19, 2007

Thurs. morning, April 19, 2007-New and old stuff

Good morning to everyone.

Is spring finally going to stay??? The clouds have been constant, but I know the sun will prevail and shine through-it always does. It is getting a little warmer now...finally. Just for a fleeting moment, while the snow and cold, brisk wind was blowing, I thought about putting my Christmas decorations back up outside!

The IRS non-profit application is "In the Mail"-yes! Whew! Just hope and pray it is right!

The new organization had a fund-raiser at Ponderosa on Monday night, the 16th. We did pretty well. We had a 50/50 raffle and we were so blessed. At the end of the last shift, some guy from New York came in and bought some raffle tickets. He told one of our workers, if he wins, how will he know, because he was from New York? Our volunteer told him she was drawing the winning ticket at 9 p.m. Well, his ticket was drawn, and bless his kind heart, he donated $50.00 out of the $51.00 he won. back to us! Thanks fella!

We sure have a lot going on and planned in the next months ahead. We have had more people join and now we are at 95 members, including 7 Junior members. Great!

As far as the Virginia massacre, what a horrible tragedy. We will be reeling for months to come with questions, and maybe some answers regarding the shooter. What a troubled and very disturbed individual. How very sad. I can't imagine the pain the relatives and friends of the victims are feeling. I will just keep praying for them, as hopefully you will too.

My questions are: If he was proved "mentally ill" by the court, why did this not show up on a background check when he went to purchase the first gun? Was there a background check even done by the place that sold him the first gun? I am not an anti-gun-activist by any means, we own guns, but isn't this what was put in place in today's screening of people who want to purchase guns????

New! NEWS Alert button: I put a story on my website regarding a woman who was shot and killed by her abusive husband. He also shot himself. This is not the first time a murder/suicide has occured when dealing with domestic violence and abuse, nor will it be the last. So very sad. Could this have been prevented? Don't know.

If you know of any more articles in newspapers about such actions, let me know. The more I can put on this website, the more it might make someone think, and get out of the violent situation with their lives before it is too late. Just make sure I have the Newspaper name and the person who did the article so I can give them the credit.

I am going to have an author's workshop and club session next Saturday at the local Arts Center. I am looking forward to it as the workshops I held last year were a lot of fun and people learned a lot.

I am also going to have a book sales and signing sometime in May at the local Rite-Aid. I will have my computer guy post it so maybe you can come and get a book or two!!!

Gotta go for now,
Thanks for all your emails and support. Stay safe...and enjoy the warmer weather!
Becky :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home